We've made major enhancements to our online synchronous communication tools—Partner Chat and Live Chat. With this update you will find:
- The elimination of Adobe Flash Player as a requirement for Partner Chat activities
- Easier to use, more robust, and more reliable student availability, invitation, and messaging services
- New Readiness Check feature intended to evaluate the user’s setup (connection speed for audio and video, confirm that audio and camera are functioning as expected)
- Improved visual and user designs that follow standard social media conventions, such as Facebook Messenger
What looks different?
If “Chat availability to students” is set to “Always available”, you will see both the chat availability toggle and chat icon on the right side of your screen.
If “Chat availability to students” is set to “Only in Partner Chat activities”, you will see this chat availability toggle on the right side of your screen.
If your Course Setup “Chat availability to students” is set to “Never available”, you will not see any chat icons on your screen.
What else is new?
Within every Partner Chat activity, a Test your connection link checks whether students have a functioning audio/video connection before beginning their chat.
For complete instructions on how to use Partner Chat and Live Chat please refer to the Partner Chat & Live Chat Online Guide.
To ensure proper functioning of Partner Chat and Live Chat please review these requirements:
- Technical Requirements for Educators
- Network Connectivity Requirements: Ports and Domains to Whitelist